Relax! You won’t need all these questions to ask on a first date 🙂
But have some of them on your phone as prompts.
This will give you confidence that you have a back-up plan if needed …
If you find there are awkward silences and you can’t think of a thing to say, excuse yourself, nip to the Ladies and check your phone 🙂
If you concentrate on making him feel comfortable and show a genuine interest in him, these silences are less likely to occur.
After all, there must have been something you liked about him to agree to a date.
No doubt he will be as nervous as you and will have questions to ask on a first date for you, as well.
He will be trying to impress you and may not have the skills you have …
So, be “gentle” in your answers, particularly if the answer has to be a simple “yes” or “no.”
Try to extend your answer with more of an explanation, without becoming a complete chatterbox.
He will be dreading any uncomfortable silences as much as you, so help him out here.
It’s really important that asking him questions doesn’t come across as an interrogation …
It’s not a job interview …
So ask questions with a smile – either on your face or in your voice …
You will notice that most of these are “open” questions … they cannot be answered with a simple “yes” or “no” … this should give you the opportunity to reply to the information he provides and ask further questions in a natural manner, so the conversation flows.
Should you ask “How was your day?” and he replies “Good” you could then ask, with a smile “Because?” – and keep quiet until he gives you a more extensive answer
Some of these questions to ask on a first date could be related to family as well as work. For example, “What are you most proud of?”
Unless you are feeling very relaxed, I wouldn’t ask no 33, his favourite joke.
Here’s why …
A joke often relies on an unexpected punch-line … if he’s not good at telling jokes, or you don’t really see the funny side of the joke, any forced polite laughter from you could dampen the evening and embarrass you both.
On the other hand, if you are getting on well together, a shared joke could be the highlight of the evening and a great bonding experience 🙂
It’s perfectly possible that your date may be someone you know/have known for a while… in which case, the questions you ask might be very different to the ones you would ask someone you do not know well …
I have put in a separate section of questions to ask on a first date which you need to be more wary of, as they can seem to be more intrusive or have an agenda behind them.
Going out on a first date can be a nerve racking experience. If you would like to have the extra confidence of knowing what men LIKE and what men HATE, get my free e-book at the bottom of this post 🙂
And check out how to be attractive to men for more hints and tips.
Here are the questions – there’s plenty of choice 🙂
Suggested questions to ask on a first date …
- Tell me more about yourself
- What do you do and how long have you been doing it?
- How was your day?
- What projects are you working on?
- What was the highlight of your week?
- What was the lowest point in your week?
- What are you most proud of?
- What are your favourite restaurants?
- What’s your favourite food or drink?
- Is there anything you are allergic to or won’t eat?
- Do you cook?
- What’s your signature dish?
- What food do you like?
- What’s the strangest thing you’ve ever eaten?
- What’s your guilty pleasure?
- Are you a coffee or tea person?
- Who inspires you?
- What’s your favourite quote?
- What is your passion?
- What sports do you play?
- Do you have any pets?
- Are you a dog or cat person?
- What is your favourite comedy?
- What is your favourite book?
- What kind of books do you prefer reading?
- What’s the latest thing you are reading?
- What type of music do you listen to?
- Who’s your favourite artist?
- What instruments do you play?
- What is your view on the current issue of…? (not political or religious!)
- What’s your story?
- What kind of things make you laugh?
- What’s your favourite joke?
- What makes you laugh out loud?
- What do you like to do outside of work?
- What do you like to do at weekends?
- What do you like to do in the summer?
- What do you like best about your best friend?
- What do you usually do with your friends?
- Where did you grow up?
- What was your family like growing up?
- Are you close to your family?
- Are you closer to your Mum or your Dad?
- What were you like as a child?
- Did you have a nickname? What’s the story behind it?
- What did you want to be growing up?
- What’s the one thing you did as a kid that you still do today?
- What’s the one thing you would change about yourself?
- What’s the one thing no one else knows about you?
- What is the most daring thing you have ever done?
- If you won a million dollars, what would you do with the money?
- What’s your dream job?
- What’s the oddest job you’ve ever tried?
- What talent do you have?
- What’s your secret to happiness?
- Do you believe in any superstitions?
- What phobias do you have?
- What do you fear the most?
- If you could turn back time, what would you change?
- Where was your recent vacation?
- If you had a chance to go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
- What’s the first place you visit when you travel to a new destination?
- Where’s the worst place you’ve been?
- Do you prefer the countryside or city life?
- If you were stranded on a desert island, what 3 things would you take with you?
- If you were granted 3 wishes, what would you wish for?
- What sort of things irritate you the most?
- Do you have a bucket list?
- What’s on your bucket list?
- What’s your biggest success/regret?
- What things do you want to achieve before you die?
- If you didn’t have to work today, what would you be doing?
- What’s the most spontaneous thing you have ever done?
- What do you like about living here?
- What was the best day of your life?
- What legacy would you like to leave behind?
- What’s the best advice you’ve ever been given/gotten?
- Do you believe in luck or hard work?
- If your house was on fire, what’s the first thing you would save?
- If you could have an invention credited to you, what would it be?
- If you could win the Nobel prize, what category would it be in?
- If you were Prime Minister/President for a day, what would be your first order?
These are the questions you want to be wary of asking on a first date…
- What do you think or our date?
- What’s the worst pick up line you’ve ever used?
- What was the last major thing you bought?
- What’s your morning routine like?
- Do you believe in fate?
- What do you look for in a person?
- What’s something you wouldn’t guess about me?
- What do you look for on a first date?
- Describe yourself in 3 words
- What are you looking for in a relationship?
- Are you a spender or a saver?
- Do you prefer to be strong or intelligent?
- Where do you see yourself in 5 years?
- Which reality TV show would you want to be on?
- What’s the latest viral video you’ve watched?
- Which superhero do you prefer?
- If you could have any super power, which would it be?
- Which film would best represent your life?
- Are you a reader or a gamer?
- If you had a time machine, where in history would you want to go?
- When am I going to see you again?
- What are your promotion prospects?
- How much do you earn?
- Are you looking for a casual relationship or commitment?
- Do you want to get married or play the field?
Hopefully, with some of these questions to ask on a first date up your sleeve,
- you will have an enjoyable time
- learn a lot about him and
- decide whether you want to take the relationship further.
Oh! and don’t be tempted to call him the next day … however you try to justify it, it looks as if you are chasing him … and that will scare him away. Men like to be in charge.
Let him call you … and if he doesn’t call you, move on.
You could text him to say “thank you” …You are a busy, classy, high-quality woman, remember?
Should you meet up with him again if he doesn’t reply …
- Smile and be friendly
- Don’t refer to your date or
- Ask him why he didn’t call/text you back.
What To Do Next: Download This Free E-book
Would you like to know more about questions to ask on a first date, what men LIKE and what men HATE ?
Imagine the confidence it will give you before you go out on another date.
Would you like a sneak peak at what is inside?
Inside this free guide you will discover:
- The sordid truth about the male psyche and what it means for his interest levels
- The covert way to find out what really turns him on
- The phases of a relationship and how they relate to interest levels
- How to be the only woman who REALLY “gets him “
- How to maintain interest forever and and make him want to be with you
Click on this link and you’ll be taken through to the download page …
Enter your first name and primary email address for instant access.
I’ll also be happy to share even more resources to help you with your love life 🙂
You can discover even more about how to make your first date a success by reading this article next 🙂
Image courtesy of David Castillo Dominici at FreeDigitalPhotos.net
Image courtesy of photostock at FreeDigitalPhotos.net